Learning to read... The ABC - Spike Milligan

I have always loved reading and given the opportunity, I love nothing better, than 
to sit in a quiet place with a book - with 2 young children this is a non-existent  
very rare occurrence indeed!  I have read to my oldest child since he was a baby 
and he always loved choosing books for me to read to him. 

The transition of him then learning to read was tough and very rocky - he hated it! 
We got there in the end (a year of 'reading' Argos catalogues seemed to do the trick!) 
and his reading is now flourishing and more importantly, he loves reading - though not as much as skateboarding! I am not far off starting to teach my youngest her ABC's and 
loved this photo - it's so much better than a boring poster, it looks great and 
makes the alphabet look a lot more fun.
(Can you guess which is my favourite letter!)

here

The photo also reminded me of a fantastic poem by Spike Milligan.
The ABC by Spike Milligan
 
'Twas midnight in the schoolroom
And every desk was shut
When suddenly from the alphabet
Was heard a loud "Tut-Tut!"
Said A to B, "I don't like C;
His manners are a lack.
For all I ever see of C
Is a semi-circular back!"

"I disagree," said D to B,
"I've never found C so.
From where I stand he seems to be
An uncompleted O."

C was vexed, "I'm much perplexed,
You criticise my shape.
I'm made like that, to help spell Cat
And Cow and Cool and Cape."

"He's right" said E; said F, "Whoopee!"
Said G, "'Ip, 'Ip, 'ooray!"
"You're dropping me," roared H to G.
"Don't do it please I pray."

"Out of my way," LL said to K.
"I'll make poor I look ILL."
To stop this stunt J stood in front,
And presto! ILL was JILL.

"U know," said V, "that W
Is twice the age of me.
For as a Roman V is five
I'm half as young as he."

X and Y yawned sleepily,
"Look at the time!" they said.
"Let's all get off to beddy byes."
They did, then "Z-z-z."

Comments

  1. I love this!! The wall, the poem, it is amazing! Now I think I might use this in my daughter's room but maybe more girly colors to match her bedding.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment